Now Accepting Applications
We invite applications for Faculty Fellows who will work alongside full-time CTE faculty to help support the Center’s core mission of improving teaching and learning at UVA. Fellows devote at minimum 4 hours/week to a range of activities, such as:
- conducting instructional consultations with other instructors;
- leading departmental/school workshops, communities of practice, faculty learning communities (FLCs), or book groups;
- developing CTE resources; and
- supporting current CTE programming or helping develop new initiatives.
The exact nature and emphasis of the work will depend on the applicant’s interests and the CTE’s priorities. For AY 2020-21, we are particularly looking for faculty with interest and expertise in one or both of these areas:
- helping colleagues design and deliver hybrid, hyflex, or online learning experiences;
- supporting instructors in creating accessible, equitable, and inclusive learning environments.
Training, mentoring, and ongoing support will be provided by the CTE.
The CTE is committed to working as a team of educational developers that represents diverse viewpoints, backgrounds, and experiences, and we welcome applicants from groups underrepresented in the academy. We especially seek applicants committed to advancing equity and inclusivity in educational development programs and spaces pertaining to teaching and learning.
We are accepting applications until the end of the calendar year. Email Michael Palmer at email@example.com with questions.
All full-time faculty (tenure-eligible, tenured, and general faculty) are eligible to apply. A two-year gap in service is required for reapplication from former Fellows. The number of Fellows the CTE hires each year varies according to need and available resources.
Faculty Fellows serve one-year appointments that can be renewed with mutual agreement for up to two additional years.
Applicants must have exceptional interpersonal skills, have strong verbal and written communication skills, work well in highly collaborative environments, and have a demonstrated commitment to improving teaching and learning and equitable and inclusive practices. Applicants must have already attended the CTE’s Course Design Institute or completed a facilitated session of c3Design (or be able to participate prior to starting the position).
Fellows will receive $5,000 for working 4 hours/week or $10,000 for working 8 hours/week. Fellows may choose to receive this as an administrative supplement to their salary, a research fund, or negotiated release time with their department. They will be given the working title of “CTE Faculty Fellow,” which they may use while in the position.
Applicants should submit the following materials by the application deadline.
- Letter of Interest (max. two pages): The letter should highlight the applicant’s interest in the position, aspects of the work they are particularly interested in, their commitment to improving teaching and learning—either personally or in a broader context—as well as their commitment to and experience with diversity, equity, and inclusion work. Also, indicate commitment preference of 4 or 8 hours/week.
- Teaching CV (max. two pages): The abbreviated curriculum vita should highlight the applicant’s teaching activities, including, for example, teaching responsibilities, relevant professional development activities, prior work with the CTE, teaching-related publications and presentations, teaching awards, or teaching-related committee work.
N.B. If selected, we will jointly develop a Memorandum of Understanding between the CTE, Faculty Fellow, and Fellow’s department chair and academic associate dean. In addition to agreeing to the position details, the chair and dean will attest that working with the CTE in the manner described will positively advance the Fellow’s promotion and/or tenure case. Also, any course release is at the discretion of the Fellow’s department or school and must be negotiated and approved prior to the start of the position.
Applicant materials will be reviewed and informal interviews conducted by a small group of CTE faculty and former Fellows. Final selections will be based on how well applicants match the desired qualifications and the current needs of the CTE and University.
Application Deadline and Process
For 2020-21 Faculty Fellows, the call for applications is open until the end of the calendar year. Review will commence as applications are received. Applicants should submit their materials as a single PDF file to Michael Palmer at firstname.lastname@example.org, using the following naming convention: lastname_ctefacultyfellowapp_date (EX: jones_ctefacultyfellowapp_09072020).