Online community-engaged teaching
- EService-Learning: Creating Experiential Learning and Civic Engagement Through Online and Hybrid Courses, edited by Strait, J. R., Nordyke, K., & Furco, A. (2015) [Note: NetBadge required.]
- Community engagement and technology for a more relevant higher education. Hamerlinck, J. (2015).
- Service-eLearning: Educating for Citizenship, edited by Dailey-Hebert, A., Donnelli-Sallee, E., & Dipadova-Stocks, L. N. (2008) [Note: NetBadge required.]
An introduction to community-engaged teaching
How do you design a community-engaged course?
- Service-Learning Course Design Workbook, Howard, J. E. (2001)
- The Craft of Community-engaged Teaching and Learning, Welch, M. & Plaxton-Moore, S. (2019) [Note: NetBadge required.]
- Download the accompanying online workbook
How do you find a community partner?
How is a community-engaged course different from a traditional academic course?
- Academic Service Learning: A Counternormative Pedagogy, Howard, J. P. F. (1998)
What is the impact of community-engaged teaching on student learning?
- Where’s the Learning in Service-Learning? Eyler, J. & Giles, D.E. (1999)
- Cognitive Outcomes of Service-Learning: Reviewing the Past and Glimpsing the Future, Steinke, P. & Buresh, S. (2002)
What is the impact of community-engaged learning on the community?
- Where's the Community in Service-Learning Research?, Cruz, N. I.& Giles, D. E. (2000)
- Our Assistant Director of Community-Engaged Learning Initiatives Andrew Kaufman participated in a panel discussion on October 9, 2020, related to the Seats at the Table documentary about his UVA Books Behind Bars course. His fellow panelists included New York Times columnist and UVA alumnus Jamelle Bouie, Virginia Department of Juvenile Justice Director Valerie Boykin, former UVA student Kelsey Bowman, and former correctional center resident Bradley Brewer. They talked about issues of equity and social justice, along with the power of innovative education to effect personal and social change.
Sample syllabi for community-engaged courses by discipline
- Community-Engaged Teaching at UVA: Stakeholder Benefit, a summary of the research on the impact community-engaged instruction has on student learning and behavior, faculty teaching and scholarship, institutional culture, and community well-being.
- Engaged UVA, an initiative of the Vice Provost for Academic Outreach “designed to connect faculty, students and communities to mutually beneficial research and teaching programs.”
- Community-engaged courses offered at UVA
- UVA faculty involved in community-engaged teaching and community engagement
- The Equity Center, a UVA Democracy Initiative Center for the redress of inequity through community-engaged scholarship
- Madison House, volunteer center for students at UVA that helps coordinate faculty-community partnerships for community-engaged courses
- Community-Engaged Teaching in a Time of Trauma, video series created by the CTE to document the unique experiences of UVA faculty who taught community-engaged courses in Spring 2020