Faculty learning communities (FLCs) are small, peer-led groups of faculty who come together to discuss particular teaching topics, issues, or practices. The CTE currently offers an FLC focused on:
- Equitable Collaborative Learning - registration for Spring 2023 opens soon.
- STEM Conceptual Knowledge Faculty Learning Community - This learning community ran in Fall 2022 for STEM instructors and investigated how concept inventories could be used to assess and improve students' conceptual knowledge in their classes.
- SoTL Faculty Learning Community: Student Engagement - This learning community ran in Fall 2022 and read Christine Harrington’s Keeping Us Engaged: Student Perspectives (and Research-Based Strategies) on What Works and Why, in addition the SoTL literature on student engagement.
- Specifications Grading Faculty Learning Community - This learning community ran in Fall 2021 and supported instructors interested in exploring and adopting an alternative grading approach called specifications grading.
- SoTL Faculty Learning Community: Evaluating Student Learning - This learning community ran in Summer 2021 and explored the SoTL literature on evaluating learning.
- Community-Engaged Faculty Learning Community - This learning community took place in Fall 2020 and explored the unique challenges and opportunities of community-engaged teaching in an online environment. This community preceded our Community-Engaged Teaching Scholars program.
Sign up for email updates
UVA's Center for Teaching Excellence
a unit of the Office of the Provost
Hotel D, 24 East Range
P.O. Box 400136
Charlottesville, VA 22904