The Center promotes excellence and innovation in teaching at the University of Virginia and contributes to national and international conversations on instructional development.
The Center strives for excellence in:
- fostering student learning and effective teaching through creative, innovative, and research-driven approaches, assessments, and technologies;
- advancing and translating the scholarship of teaching and learning for the classroom and beyond;
- building and nurturing cross-disciplinary communities and mentoring networks for scholarly exchange around learning, teaching, and professional growth;
- cultivating life-long learning for current and future faculty at all career stages.
To realize this mission, Center faculty and staff develop world-class programs and collaborate with individuals and units across Grounds and consult with higher education colleagues around the world.
Guiding Principles and Values
We believe that…
- faculty and graduate students care deeply about student learning and want to be the best teachers they can be.
- striving for excellence in one’s teaching is an iterative, dynamic, and scholarly process that spans the faculty career.
- promoting teaching and learning excellence requires a dual focus on efficacy and innovation.
- faculty and graduate students at all levels welcome opportunities for cross-disciplinary conversations about teaching, learning, and professional growth.
- faculty and graduate students enjoy sharing their effective, innovative teaching approaches and discovering research on teaching and learning.
- sustained learning communities, peer and mentoring networks provide excellent vehicles for fostering deep reflection, innovation, and connection.
- when teaching and research are interconnected, they enrich each other.
How we work:
- Our individual consultations are strictly confidential and are driven by the faculty member’s goals.
- We model effective teaching, mentoring and learning practices in our workshops, programs, consultations and services to maximize learning.
- Helping people build community is an integral part of our work.