Community-Engaged Teaching in a Time of Trauma
- Community-Engaged Teaching in a Time of Trauma is a video series documenting the unique experiences of UVA faculty who taught community-engaged courses in Spring 2020.
Online community-engaged teaching
- EService-Learning: Creating Experiential Learning and Civic Engagement Through Online and Hybrid Courses, Strait, J. R., Nordyke, K., & Furco, A. (2015) [Note: you have to be logged in through NetBadge to access this ebook.]
- Service-eLearning: Educating for Citizenship, edited by Dailey-Hebert, A., Donnelli-Sallee, E., & Dipadova-Stocks, L. N. (2008)
An introduction to community-engaged teaching
How do you design a community-engaged course?
- Service-Learning Course Design Workbook, Howard, J. E. (2001)
- The Craft of Community-engaged Teaching and Learning, Welch, M. & Plaxton-Moore, S. (2019) [Note: you have to be logged in through NetBadge to access this ebook.]
- Download the accompanying online workbook
How do you find a community partner?
How is a community-engaged course different from a traditional academic course?
- Academic Service Learning: A Counternormative Pedagogy, Howard, J. P. F. (1998)
What is the impact of community-engaged teaching on student learning?
- Where’s the learning in service-learning?, Eyler, J. & Giles, D.E. (1999)
- Cognitive Outcomes of Service-Learning: Reviewing the Past and Glimpsing the Future, Steinke, P. & Buresh, S. (2002)
What is the impact of community-engaged learning on the community?
- Where's the Community in Service-Learning Research?, Cruz, N. I.& Giles, D. E. (2000)
Sample syllabi for community-engaged courses by discipline
- Community-Engaged Teaching at UVA: Stakeholder Benefit, a summary of the research on the impact community-engaged instruction has on student learning and behavior, faculty teaching and scholarship, institutional culture, and community well-being.
- Engaged UVA, an initiative of the Vice Provost for Academic Outreach “designed to connect faculty, students and communities to mutually beneficial research and teaching programs.”
- Community-engaged courses offered at UVA
- UVA faculty involved in community-engaged teaching and community engagement
- The Equity Center, a UVA Democracy Initiative Center for the redress of inequity through community-engaged scholarship
- Madison House, volunteer center for students at UVA that helps coordinate faculty-community partnerships for community-engaged courses