The 2021-22 application period is now closed.
We are continuing to accept applications for our Graduate Student Teaching Consultant (GSTC) positions. Review of applications is underway and will continue until all positions are filled. GSTCs draw on their unique perspective as student-teachers and learn to communicate this expertise effectively to faculty and other graduate instructors. GSTCs will be trained to consult with instructors during the summer and throughout the 2021-22 academic year.
- Design your own course using evidence-based principles, either in the CTE’s Course Design Institute (CDI) or in the online course design seminar, c3Design.
- Attend half-day trainings on Wednesday, August 18 (afternoon) and Friday, August 20 (morning). Note that the timing and modality of these sessions may shift as UVA updates its COVID-19 policies. While we hope that by late summer it is possible to hold meetings in person, we will finalize the details in accordance with UVA policy.
- Conduct classroom observations, Engaging Students’ Perspectives focus groups, and consult individually with instructors, both in person and remotely, during the 2021-22 academic year (between 4-8 consultations per semester based on your availability and instructor demand; ca. 2.5 hours per consultation).
- Attend occasional check-in meetings throughout the academic year with other consultants and program facilitators.
Training hours, regular meetings, and consultations will be compensated at $18/hour.
- Evidence of teaching effectiveness
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including listening skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including empathy and compassion
- Mature, professional demeanor
- Interest in college education
- Availability to attend course design and training sessions in Summer 2021
All full-time graduate students are eligible to apply. Since we seek to create a diverse team, applications from students with diverse experiences and backgrounds are particularly encouraged to apply.
We will begin reviewing applications on Monday, April 5. Positions remain open until filled. To apply, please email the following materials (as a single PDF) to Adriana Streifer at firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Cover letter explaining your interest in the consulting position and highlighting your experiences as a teacher in higher education
- Reflective teaching statement
- Summary of your teaching evaluations, including both quantitative and qualitative data
- Curriculum vitae
- Brief statement describing the total number of hours/week you anticipate working at UVA during the 2021-2022 year, including GTA assignments, RA work, etc. (Barring special exceptions, UVA stipulates that graduate student hourly wage work must not exceed 20 hours/week).