The application period is now closed.
Are you interested in:
- helping instructors understand what their classroom looks like from a student’s perspective?
- sharing your thoughts on what engages and motivates you as a learner?
- joining a team of trained student consultants committed to improving teaching and learning at UVA?
If so, we encourage you to apply to be an Undergraduate Student Teaching Consultant. In this position, you will draw on your unique perspective as students and learn to communicate this expertise effectively to faculty. USTCs will be trained to consult with instructors this summer and throughout the 2020-21 academic year. Learn more about our teaching consultation services. We will begin reviewing applications on March 23.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Attend half-day training sessions on the morning of Wednesday, May 6 (one of the reading days during Finals Week), the afternoon of Wednesday, August 19, and the morning of Friday, August 21.
- Consult with individual faculty on designing course syllabi (all day May 18, and the afternoons of May 20-21, and June 3-4).
- Conduct student focus groups and classroom observations and consult individually with instructors during the 2020-21 academic year (approximately 3-7 consultations per semester, based on your availability and instructor demand; ca. 2.5 hours per consultation).
- Attend occasional hour-long check-in meetings throughout the academic year with other student consultants and program facilitators.
- Attend student-faculty partnership events for continued development and training as schedule allows.
Training hours, regular meetings, and consultations will be compensated at $11/hour.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including listening skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including empathy and compassion
- Excellent organizational skills, including maintaining a schedule and responding promptly to electronic communications
- Mature, professional demeanor
- Interest in college education
- Interest in serving as a liaison between students and faculty
All undergraduate students enrolled in 12 credit hours or more are eligible to apply. Applications from students with diverse experiences and backgrounds are particularly encouraged to apply. Preference will be given to students who will begin their second or third year in fall 2020.
The positions will remain open until filled, though we will prioritize applications submitted by Monday, March 23.