We are hiring advanced graduate students to serve as teaching consultants. Graduate Student Teaching Consultants (GSTCs) will draw on their unique perspective as student-teachers and learn to communicate this expertise effectively to faculty and other graduate instructors. GSTCs will be trained to consult with instructors during the summer and throughout the 2020-21 academic year. Review of applications begins Wednesday, April 22.
- Design your own course using evidence-based principles in the CTE’s new online version of its Course Design Institute (summer 2020, session dates TBD).
- Attend half-day trainings on Wednesday, August 19 (afternoon) and Friday, August 21 (morning). Note that the timing and modality of these sessions may shift as UVA updates its response to COVID-19. Training sessions are traditionally held in person, but the details will be finalized as we monitor the situation over the summer.
- Conduct classroom observations, Engaging Students’ Perspectives focus groups, and consult individually with instructors, both in person and remotely, during the 2020-2021 academic year (between 4-8 consultations per semester based on your availability and instructor demand; ca. 2.5 hours per consultation).
- Attend occasional hour-long, check-in meetings throughout the academic year with other consultants and program facilitator.
Training hours, regular meetings, and consultations will be compensated at $18/hour.
- Evidence of teaching effectiveness
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including listening skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including empathy and compassion
- Mature, professional demeanor
- Interest in college education
All full-time graduate students are eligible to apply. Applications from students with diverse experiences and backgrounds are particularly encouraged to apply.
We will begin reviewing applications on Wednesday, April 22. Positions remain open until filled. To apply, please email the following materials (as a single PDF file) to Adriana Streifer at firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Cover letter explaining your interest in the consulting position and highlighting your experiences as a teacher in higher education
- Reflective teaching statement
- Summary of your teaching evaluations, including both quantitative and qualitative data
- Curriculum vitae
- Brief statement describing the total number of hours you anticipate working at UVA during the 2020-2021 year, including GTA assignments, RA work, etc. (barring special exceptions, UVA stipulates that graduate student hourly work must not exceed 20 hours/week)