Members of the University Academy of Teaching are invited to apply for fellowship funding to support a year-long project that will enhance faculty and/or graduate student colleagues’ ability to help their students learn. Successful proposals will address one or more of the challenges to teaching and learning identified at a recent Academy retreat, preferably instituting a positive change or laying the groundwork for positive change.
This program aims to encourage and support Academy members in sharing their teaching expertise through a project that has a broad scope and involves groups of instructors, with a timeline of at least one academic year. Fellowship recipients must formally assess the impact of their work on participants and disseminate the results both at U.Va. and beyond.
Funding and CTE supporting consultations are available for one (1) Academy of Teaching Fellowship this year. The $7,000 professional development fund supports activities and/or expenses associated with the Fellow’s teaching and/or research; the $2,000 expense budget may be expended in any way that supports the project, e.g., refreshments for participants, books and materials, travel costs; it cannot be used for expenses considered routine departmental or program expenses.
The Academy of Teaching Fellowship enables profound research on teaching and learning, while providing opportunities to think innovatively and integrate new ideas. The award enables faculty to work with the Center for Teaching Excellence to accomplish such aims as these:
- investigate how teaching affects students’ learning
- deepen connections between teaching and research
- share knowledge with colleagues
- promote interdisciplinary projects
Fellows might undertake such projects as these:
- Design and deliver a pedagogy seminar for graduate students and/or for new faculty
- Organize a series of workshops addressing a challenge to effective teaching
- Gather, analyze, and share data to understand how well students are learning from the teaching offered (whether a traditional or innovative teaching approach)
- Investigate innovative teaching methods and share discoveries with colleagues
No Academy member may hold an Academy Fellowship and Grant for Learning during the same academic year.