We are currently accepting applications for 2017-2018 Ignite Scholars.
Ignite is open to full-time, tenure-track, tenured, and non tenure-track faculty who will begin their first, second, or third year at UVa during the 2017-18 academic year and who have a firm commitment from their department for continued employment for the 2018-19 academic year.
Those who will thrive in the Ignite program are open to learning-centered approaches to teaching and willing to fully and actively participate in small, structured learning communities. Since a major goal is promoting a peer-level support network and community among faculty, consistent and active participation in the program is crucial. Faculty who can commit to participate fully in all program activities are encouraged to apply.
If accepted to the Ignite program you commit to…
- design or redesign a course during a week-long, intensive Course Design Institute (dates listed in application)
- attend a retreat, Monday, August 14, 2017 from 8:30am to 3:00pm
- actively participate in a small cross-disciplinary faculty learning community twice per month in the fall 2017 OR spring 2018 semester (the schedule of the 90 minute bimonthly meetings will be determined depending on availability)
- continually enhance your course by innovating and reflecting on your teaching practices, gathering and analyzing student feedback at mid-semester, and systematically assessing students’ learning
- participate in individual consultation to get formative feedback on your teaching
- draft a reflective teaching statement for your third-year review
As an Ignite program participant, you can apply for discretionary funding for professional development opportunities. Award funds are contingent on full participation (that is, attending the Course Design Institute and at least six learning community meetings, and completing program assessments).
The application will take approximately 15-30 minutes to complete. To apply and receive full consideration, please complete all portions of the online application by February 28. After that date, applications will be considered on a rolling basis. Please notify Dorothe at email@example.com if you apply after the deadline.
Click here to apply.
Questions? Contact Dorothe Bach at firstname.lastname@example.org or 434-982-2800.