We are now accepting applications for 2018-2019 Ignite Scholars. Before you apply, please read this page carefully.
Ignite is open to full-time (tenure-track, tenured, and non-tenure track) faculty who will begin their first, second, or third year at UVA during the 2018-19 academic year and who have a firm commitment from their department for continued employment for the 2019-20 academic year.
Those who will thrive in the Ignite program are open to learning-centered approaches to teaching and willing to fully and actively participate in small, structured learning communities. Since a major goal is promoting a peer-level support network and community among faculty, consistent and active participation in the program is crucial. Faculty who can commit to participate fully in all program activities are encouraged to apply.
If accepted to the Ignite program you commit to…
- design or redesign a course during one of our three week-long, intensive Course Design Institute (click link for dates)*
- attend a retreat, Monday, August 20, 2018 from 8:30 am – 3:00 pm
- actively participate in a small cross-disciplinary faculty learning community twice per month in the fall 2018 OR spring 2010 semester (the schedule of the 90 minute bimonthly meetings will be determined depending on availability)
- continually enhance your course by innovating and reflecting on your teaching practices, gathering and analyzing student feedback at mid-semester, and systematically assessing students’ learning
- participate in individual consultation to get formative feedback on your teaching
- draft a reflective teaching statement for your third-year review
As an Ignite program participant, you can apply for $1,000 discretionary funding for professional development opportunities. Award funds are contingent on full participation (that is, attending the Course Design Institute and at least six learning community meetings, and completing program assessments).
To apply and receive full consideration, complete all portions of the online application by clicking here. The application will take approximately 20-30 minutes to complete. As part of the application, you will be asked questions related to the Course Design Institute*. We recommend completing the application in its entirety in one sitting since intermediate work is sometimes lost.
*Note: There is a registration fee associated with the Course Design Institute. If you qualify for UVA’s Educational Benefit, you can cover the cost through this benefit. If you are not eligible for this benefit, please ask us about a tuition waiver. For more information on the Education Benefit and to confirm eligibility, visit the University Human Resources website.
Questions? Contact Dorothe Bach at firstname.lastname@example.org or 434-982-2800.