The Innovations in Pedagogy Summit brings together over 200 faculty, staff, and students from across UVA and beyond to showcase excellence in teaching and learning and to explore collaborative visions for the Academical Village of the future.
The theme for the 5th Annual Summit is: Imagining Teaching and Learning Together.
What possibilities for deep, transformative teaching and learning can students, faculty, and staff imagine and create together?
This year’s theme is Imagining Teaching and Learning Together. Learning has the potential to be especially dynamic, expansive, and enduring when students and faculty learn with and from one another. UVA was founded on, and indeed, physically constructed around, a vision of faculty and students working and learning together. In the 21st century, integrative and collaborative education has become more important than ever, as we teach and learn in order to address the challenges of our world’s complex and unscripted problems. Following this theme, the 2017 Summit will highlight productive teaching and learning collaborations and host a lively exchange of ideas about questions such as:
- How can faculty model learning in their classrooms and learn with and from their students?
- How can faculty, undergraduate and graduate students, staff, and others in the university work together to create learning environments in which engagement and enthusiasm flourish?
- How can collaborative partnerships—between faculty and students, between departments and units, between academic affairs and student affairs, between university and community—support teaching and learning?
- How well do faculty know their students and understand their goals for learning?
- How can students take a more active role in and responsibility for their own learning?
- What possibilities for deep learning can integrative and collaborative pedagogies create? These might include, but are not limited to, problem- and inquiry-based learning, community-engaged learning, and living-learning communities.
The Summit organizing committee invites proposals for 45-minute interactive workshops. Proposals related to the conference theme are given preference, though proposals on other topics will also be considered. Collaboratively facilitated sessions which include a team of faculty, students (undergraduate and/or graduate), and/or staff are especially encouraged. Proposed interactive workshops should model the presented pedagogical strategies or otherwise allow audience participation; proposals should describe the plan for interaction and engagement in detail.
The 2017 Summit will be held Wednesday, May 3, 2017, from 9:00 am to 3:00 pm, in Newcomb Hall, University of Virginia.
Registration for the Summit will open in early spring 2017; check back at that time to register. There are no fees to attend the Summit.
Click here to submit a proposal. The deadline for proposal submission is Monday, February 27, 2017.